Message from the Dean
I warmly welcome you to the School of Postgraduate Studies (SPGS), National Open University of Nigeria (NOUN).
As the foremost and all-time provider of Open and Distance Learning (ODL) university education in Nigeria, we proudly offer academic freedom through a functional, adaptable, and cost-effective learning approach that bestows lifelong value upon all knowledge seekers within close reach. This approach ensures that access is not bound by geographical limitations or time constraints, allowing you to progress at your own pace anywhere on this planet.
Upon the revitalization of the University in 2003, NOUN introduced a range of postgraduate programmes as part of its comprehensive offerings. However, by April 6, 2009, the University Senate officially established the School of Postgraduate Studies, with Prof. Israel F. Adu as the pioneering Dean (6th April 2009 to 30th June 2016). The second and third Deans were Prof. Samaila Mande (1st July 2016 to 31st August 2021) and Prof. Chinedu F, Mafiana (1st September 2021 to 31st August 2023) respectively.
The SPGS holds authority over all postgraduate programmes within the University on behalf of the Senate and the Vice Chancellor. It operates under the governance of a Board chaired by the Dean of the School and includes all Deans of Faculties and Directors of Academic Units as members. A Deputy Registrar serves as the Board’s Secretary as well as the Administrative Secretary of the School.
To effectively fulfill her mission and carry out the directives of the Senate, Vice Chancellor and the School Board, the School of Postgraduate Studies comprises five specialized units:
- Board Matters
- Admissions (Post Graduate Diplomas and Masters)
- Doctoral Matters
- Special Duties
- National Secretariat of the Committee of Provosts and Deans of Postgraduate Colleges and Schools (CPDPGCS)
Whether you are pursuing a Postgraduate Diploma, Master’s, Doctoral degree, or a professional certificate, our university is renowned for its unwavering commitment to providing exceptionally high standards and quality programs to both local and international students. As an institution deeply dedicated to excellence, all our programmes are approved by the apex regulatory body, the National Universities Commission (NUC). This means that applicants, students, employers, parents, guardians, and professional organizations can be confident that our graduates and alumni have undergone the rigorous training expected of a world-class academic institution, equipping them with the skills necessary to compete effectively in the global job market.
NOUN offers postgraduate programs in all the eight faculties of the university, including the African Centre for Technology Enhanced Learning (ACETEL).
A notable feature of NOUN is that, except for Ph.D. programmes, you are guaranteed provisional admission on meeting the minimum academic requirements upon application. With a network of over 100 Study Centers across the country and robust learner support services, both students and prospective applicants can expect a high-quality educational experience and engaging learning opportunities.
Welcome to the family, thank you for considering NOUN for your postgraduate education journey.
Prof. Sonnie J. ONIYE, FZSN, FFSN, FSETPOM
Dean, School of Postgraduate Studies
To strive at achieving excellence in scholarship, research, consultancies, upgrading the professional skills/competencies of graduands and enhancing knowledge development underpinned by the principles of Open and Distance Learning.
To provide conducive environment for the pursuit of high quality postgraduate studies with the goal of generating and expanding new knowledge as well as enriching the quality of life and experiences of its students.
The School aims at providing highly specialized knowledge and skills development geared towards meeting high human resource needs of Nigeria in its match towards contributing to a globalized knowledge economy.
- To qualify for admission into any of the postgraduate programmes of the University, a candidate must meet, among others, all matriculation requirements of at least five (5) credit passes including English Language and Mathematics. Some programmes accept at least a pass in Mathematics.
- For Postgraduate Diploma Programmes, Candidates must possess either a minimum of pass Bachelors Degree in any discipline from a University recognised by the Senate of the NOUN OR a Higher National Diploma with a minimum of Lower Credit. For the Postgraduate Diploma in Legislative Drafting, the candidate must have been called to the Bar. Also for admission into the school of Business and Human Resource Management Postgraduate Diploma programmes,
- For Master degree programmes, candidates must possess either a Bachelors Degree with a minimum of second class lower in the relevant field of study from a University recongnised by the Senate of the NOUN. However, holders of lower classificationOR a Postgraduate Diploma in related field of study from a recongnised University.
- For the Doctor of Philosophy Degree prorammes, candidates must possess a masters degree in relevant field of study from a University recongised by the Senate of the NOUN with a minimum score average of not less than 60% or a cumulative Grade Point Average (CGPA) of 4.0 on a 5-point scale. Studying with us gives a rewarding experience as we give you all the support you need to succeed. You are welcome.
1. An applicant for postgraduate admission into NOUN is normally expected to have a minimum of a first degree ( second class lower) for masters or HND for PGD in a related field in addition to 5 O-Level credits including English Language and Mathematics.
2. Additional requirements might apply for some programmes and these can be viewed after selecting the Programme and entry level at the Faculty’s admission page.
3. To apply for a programme, select the Faculty, choose the programme so that the View Requirement button is enabled. Clicking this button will reveal the corresponding entry requirement and enable the Apply button on the pre-payment application page.
4. Fill in all the remaining details on the page before submitting.
On successful submission of the pre-payment form, you are redirected to Remita to obtain an RRR invoice which should be used to effect payment for the application form.
5. An applicant who pays online using a payment card will automatically obtain the online form which must be filled before submission.
6. Applicants who pay through a bank branch must click on Continue after payment… and enter their Unique ID and RRR. They are also given the opportunity to change the Programme applied for.
7.Applicants who had paid using an RRR generated last semester or earlier must restart the application process upto the point when they are re-directed to remita. They should now use the newly generated UniqueID with the old RRR used for payment when they click Proceed after payment.
8. In all cases a successful payment will lead to the generation of an online application form which should be filled before submission online. The admission process is automated and the outcome is virtually instantaneous!
9. Please print your form and admission letter and bring them to your chosen Study Centre for verification by an Admin Officer.